Friday, March 22, 2013

Berlinale 2013: Day 7

Seventh day in a row filled with films and conferences, buy for the first time - also an interview. That was a huge deal. I had a chance of talking to two great guys that made a movie for children called "Eskil&Trinidad" that made it to Generation this year - Linus Oscarsson and Stephan Apelgren (who also directed few episodes of the Swedish version of "Wallander"). The filmed, which I also saw that day was really nice and peaceful, something right for my mood that day. Later, already after the thrills of a first interview, there was time for "Night Train to Lisbon" - a new film by Bille August. Jeremy Irons and Leanie Laurent are in there, but I think I was prejudiced even before I saw the film, because I also read a book by Pascal Mercier, which I didn't like too much. I generally think it was boring and sort of the same thing happened to the movie, or at least my perception of it. Anyway, Jeremy Irons gives a good performance, but the movie is rather mediocre.

"Ayer no termina nunca", a film by Isabel Coixet in Panorama was the third of the day, and I think it wasn't what I expected. The film is about a couple, two people who are not together anymore. The action takes place in the near future, like 2017 or something (why? - no idea) on a graveyard, where they buried their only child some years ago. It's about the sense of loss, about financial crisis, migration and all sorts of important things, but to me there was not enough real emotion, just hysteria on the ex-wife side and cool stability on the ex-husband side. Coixet must have thought she was doing something really original, but to me it was just to much to handle.
"Inch'Allach" directed by Anais Barbeau - Lavalette on the other hand, was a really engaging drama about identity and conflict, on the border of Israel and Palestine. It tells a story of a young Canadian doctor who lives in Jerusalem, but helps young Palestinian mothers. Lots of important issues are discussed in the film, it is a mature view from the outside. Of course there are some irritating cliches, because the movie is basically about contrast, but it nevertheless defends the integrity of the whole piece. Good one. Plus, it was also awarded at the festival, and on several occassions.
Of course, there was also a great press conference of the actors (Emile Hirsch and Paul Rudd" and the director (David Gordon Green) of "Prince Avalanche" that was in the Competition. But because I only sa the film the next day, you'll only see the pics from the conference and my opinion of the film itself - comes right up!
Whole report here.
Interview with Linus Oscarsson and Stephan Apelgren ("Eskil&Trinidad") here. (in Polish)

Rating:

22. "Eskil&Trinidad" no rating, children's movie

23. "Night Train to Lisbon"

Rating: ***-

24. "Ayer no termina nunca"

Rating: ***-

25. "Inch'Allah"

Rating: ***1/2



No comments:

Post a Comment