Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Berlinale 2013: Day 2

And Day 2 was opened by first in-competition viewings, with Polish "In the Name Of..." as the first one, "Don Jon's Addiction" and "Paradise: Hope" follow.
You can read my full report of the second day of Berlinale also here (but in Polish) FilmNews.


 4. "In the Name Of..." dir. Małgorzata Szumowska, with Andrzej Chyra, Mateusz Kościukiewicz, Maja Ostaszewska, cinematography by Michal Englert.
     For some time (until day 3 or 4) this one was my favourite film of the competition, although I'm very well aware of the fact that it lacks in many ways. It is definitely too long. If finished half an hour earlier, without exactly showing the results of the main protagonists' actions, it  might even win something more in the Competition (it was awarded Teddy Award, in the end, a great success). The story is not too simple, but there definitely are too many plots to consider. All in all, and because it is a Polish film, it was a good start, not a disappointment. I expected more, though.

Rating: ***1/2
More.
Reuters.

5. "Don Jon's Addiction" dir. Joseph Gordon - Levitt with JG-L, Scarlett Johansson, Julianne Moore
     I can't write a bad thing about Gordon'Levitt's feature debut, simply because I enjoyed it so much, and because the director is such a fun person to be around. His film is witty, enjoyable, and still manages to tackle with important issues of our times. I loved it and had fun watching it.

Rating: ****1/2
More.

6. "Paradise: Hope" dir. Ulrich Seidl, with Melanie Lenz, Joseph Lorentz
     People call this conclusion to the "Paradise" Trilogy disappointing, I found it mild compared to the previous two films, but nevertheless, it won my attention. I wouldn;t necessarily call it enjoyable, but it was well played, there was depth in the relations between the obese teenager and her doctor, that made me laugh at times, but I don't really think it was the director's intention. Perhaps it didn;t break so many taboos as "Love" and "Faith", but I'd recommend it as an introduction to Seidl's work, perhaps.

Rating: ***1/2
More.

The cast of "In the Name Of..."

 Director Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the producer of "Don Jon's Addiction"


 Matt Damon, Gus Van Sant and John Krasinsky, cast, screenwriters and director of "Promised Land"



No comments:

Post a Comment